Home fires occur more in winter than in any other season.
- Working smoke alarms are especially important during a loss of power when people may use alternate forms of heating equipment, portable generators and candles.
- Never use candles for emergency lighting. Many things in your home can catch fire if they are too close to a candle’s flame.
- Use flashlights for emergency lighting and stock up on batteries.
- Have a qualified repair company or licensed electrician inspect water-damaged appliances and home wiring after a flood.
- Portable generators are useful during storms, but if not used safely, they can cause injury and death.
- Keep portable generators outside, away from windows, and as far away as possible from your home.
- Install and test carbon monoxide alarms at least once a month.