It’s important to act quickly if your car catches on fire.
If your vehicle catches fire:
- Pull over as quickly as you can when it is safe.
- Once you have stopped, turn off the engine.
- Get everyone out of the car. Never return to a burning car. Do not try to fight
the fire yourself.
- If you think there is a fire under the hood or trunk, do not open it. This could
cause the fire to grow.
- Move everyone at least 100 feet from the burning car and well away from traffic.
- Call 911.
To prevent a vehicle fire:
- Have your car serviced regularly by a trained mechanic.
- Keep gas cans or propane tanks away from passengers. Tightly seal and
place them on a flat surface to make sure they stay upright.
- Keep windows open to stop fumes from building up if you must put gas
cans or propane tanks inside your vehicle.
- Drive safely to avoid an accident.